Sunday, April 18, 2010

How to properly apply hair color.

Recently I attended an amazing color class and I thought I would share a little bit about my new application discovery's with you.

Now possibly this might not be news for some of you? But for me and those of you who do find this as news, I think you will enjoy.

So we are taught when applying hair color to saturate the hair and apply to both sides of the section, especially on the gray, yes? Well in my case yes and as a colorist its something I have been doing for years.

Next time do 2 things different.

1. Take 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch sections, depending on density and porosity of the hair and apply your hair color to just the back of each section. By doing this the small sections and the compression will keep your color properly saturated and safe from the possibility of overlapping of color.

and...

2. When working around the hair line, especially grays, try using a brow brush to apply the color, to keep the color from smearing on to the scalp and prevent color from staining the skin.
These new hot tips have worked wonders for me, not only in time, but results. I urge you all to give it a go!

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the process of re-training myself to apply color this way, and it cuts the time down quite a bit! I'm so used to applying color to both sides of the section, but you're right, it really isn't necessary. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete